INDIAN FOREIGN SERVICE- A brief intro
IFS (INDIAN FOREIGN SERVICE) is an exam conducted by the UPSE. This is a civil service exam for those who all wanted to became an ambassador or diplomats. It is one of the 24 central civil services.
Who is an ambassador?
- An ambassador is the highest ranking diplomat who represents a country. They are the chief officer of embassies, which governments place in the capitals of foreign countries.
- They need to be trustworthy and have good understanding of local culture.
- If you are not friendly, good natured or easy to talk; being a diplomat is not for you.
Qualifications you need to clear IFS exam –
- You must have a graduation degree for giving the exam.
- If you have done BA , B.COM. BSC,BBA,BCA ,engineering, medical or any other degree course then you can apply for this course.
- If you are migrated from Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal you can also give the exam.
The age criteria for giving the IFS exam-
- For generals – 21 to 32 years
- For OBC – 21 to 35 years
- For SC/ST – 21 -37 years
- If you are from Jammu Kashmir for those age criteria is different for general 21 to 27 years.
- If you are physically challenged can fill the form till the age of 42.
- The student who are deaf or blind for those the age criteria
- General – till 37
- OBC – till 38
- SC/ST – till 4
Number of attempts for IFS Exam –
- General – 6 attempts
- OBC – 9 attempt
- SC/ST – unlimited attempt
- If you do not give the exam after applying, the attempt is not going to count.
Stages of IFS exam-
1.Preliminary exam –
- There are two types of exams. Both the exam are of 200 marks each. Number of questions are not same general studies has 100 questions and c-sat has 80 questions.
- Syllabus for general studies – current affairs, history, geography, constitution, economics, general issue, general science and etc.
- Syllabus for C-SAT – comprehension, logical reasoning, decision making and etc.
- The questions are multiple choice questions in the following exam.
- The c-sat is qualifying paper you just need 66 out of 200 for clearing the exam and general studies makes merit to qualifying the main exam.
2.Mains exam –
- There are total 9 papers in mains exam. 7 are important and 2 qualifying.
- 2 qualifying exams are English and any local language. You have to pass at-least by 33% in both of these.
- Total marks are 1750.
- Syllabus –
Paper 1: general essays, two essays you have to write for the exam 125-125 each.
Paper 2: General studies, Indian history, culture, world geography or society.
Paper 3: Constitution, politics, social justice or international relation.
Paper 4: technology, bio-diversity, economic development , environment security and disaster management.
Paper 5: Ethics, integrity and aptitude.
Paper 6/7: optional papers in which you have to choose the subjects.
- Personality test.
- You should be confident.
- Have a good dressing sense.
The facilities given by government –
- Job security
- Salaries are good
- No time issue
- Salaries are getting high every year
- Respected jobs
- Holidays on time
- Ill workers can apply 365 days of holiday with medical
- For pregnant women 6months + 2year of maternity leave.
- Medical services.
- House rent or houses provide by the government
- Easy to get loans
Salary of an IFS Officer
The salary depends on the job category which you will attain with your ability.
The starting salary is approx 60000 sixty thousand p.m. and go up to 2.5 lakhs.